Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Candy Canes

Yesterday I was looking through my pile of completed Christmas cards and realized that I had very few cards with candy cane images.... so I decided to create this one and play along with the holiday food challenge at Jingle Belles. I began by cutting candy cane shapes from red cardstock and added white gel pen stripes. I didn't like the gel pen stripes...they were too faint. So I covered the stripes with paint instead.  I cut red cardstock into three pieces and matted each with white cardstock. Next I attached the tips of the candy canes to the two lower pieces of red cardstock. I dry embossed green cardstock and layered the red and white pieces over it and added the holly, bows and the sentiment. I wasn't sure that I liked the addition of the green, but without it there was just too much white. Also, now that I look at it, I wish I would have used my sewing machine instead of the gel pen to add the stitching around the outer edges(including the green), but I guess it's too late now.

2 comments:

  1. well i ♥LOVE♥ the green, especially now that i know it was embossed and not hand-woven!!! (i'm still having flashbacks from the last time i wove something... lol... kinda...) everything about this is clever and fabulous and so very *YOU* which is why it's awesome! (plus it's abrilliant addition to our JINGLE BELLES feast, too!) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the embossed texture on the green ... and kudos to you for creating your own candy canes ... always glad when you join us at jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete